Thursday, January 10, 2013

Mission Statement

Do you have a mission statement? A vision for your life? Until today, I hadn't officially written out my life mission statement, though I've known for a few months what it is. One of my favorite descriptions of how to determine your mission statement or life vision is the following:

If you close your eyes and dream of being Miss America, what would your platform be? Every Miss America contestant has a platform, a cause for which she is working. If chosen to be Miss America, she will spend the year promoting her platform, creating awareness, and raising money for it. So... imagine yourself in your gown, standing on stage as you present your platform to the viewing audience. You only have a few words in which to describe it. What will you do to change the world?

For some reason, that image stuck with me. When I heard it, I automatically KNEW what it is that I would do to change the world. I knew what I would work toward to make a difference. I knew what my passion is.  We've been sitting down to make New Years Resolutions and 2013 goals, and as I began to break those goals down into bite size pieces I could chew over the next few months, I started thinking about whether or not my goals are in line with my overall mission for life.
 Now, whether or not you agree with my aim in life, it is truly at the heart of all I do. My greatest desire is to become more like Christ and life a life that brings Him glory. In doing so, I hope that I model for those around me a life that is attractive and makes them want to emulate Him as well. This is especially true of the life I live in front of my daughter and husband. It does NOT mean that I intend to go around trying to force others to view the world according to my values. But, just so you know, these are my values. So how does that play out when it comes to resolutions and yearly goals? Well, here's the list of resolutions I wrote this year...

1. Be a healthier, happier me. This means investing time, energy, and money in activities that make me healthier and happier!

2. Complete the 12 Months to a Systematic Home series. Do the challenges, blog the progress. 

3. Get Metamorphosis Life Systems off the ground. Network, schedule new clients, advertise.

4. Reduce spending and eliminate debt.

5. Spend more time in scripture, prayer, and fellowship than in 2012. 

So those are my resolutions for 2013. I am creating specific goals to help me achieve these things. I sort of see resolutions as more general, where goals are actually specific and measurable. Perhaps I'll write another post on that later, but what I was really concerned about was whether my goals / resolutions actually  helped me further my life mission. I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised to find that they do. As I work on streamlining my life this year, I want to make sure that all of my efforts are funneling my energy toward becoming more like the woman I was created to be. And you know what? I think that this year, perhaps for the first time, they are!

So... what is your mission statement? What are you doing to change the world beginning with you?


No comments:

Post a Comment